Compare-and-swap semantics in GHC

Edward Z. Yang ezyang at mit.edu
Thu Dec 5 11:43:35 UTC 2013

It's strong.  How to tell: x86 doesn't support really have any kind of
weak CAS implementation; and our PowerPC implementation loops over
LL/SC. (oh, and our asm is marked volatile)

As for whether or not there are any uses of CAS that don't need these
guarantees, probably the best way to figure this out is to look for any
uses of CAS, for which better algorithms using LL/SC are known (since
that's really the only well known implementation of this "weak" compare
and swap).  Of course, it's worth noting that any of these improvements
would not apply to today's x86, so they'd be of somewhat limited
applicability.

Cheers,
Edward

Excerpts from KwangYul Seo's message of 2013-12-04 23:58:50 -0800: