Repository Reorganization Question

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvr at gnu.org
Thu Dec 5 10:17:01 UTC 2013

On 2013-12-04 at 22:24:40 +0100, Austin Seipp wrote:
> So, the question is: should we go ahead and pull the trigger on some
> of these perhaps? Herbert collected some numbers on the git
> repositories and outlined all the basic details here:
>
> https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/GitRepoReorganization
>
> The only thing I'd honestly propose right now is folding 'testsuite'
> into the main repository, but of course we should see what people
> think

Fyi, I've drafted how the change would look like in the new ghc.git
branch 'wip/T8545' so we can test/evaluate the effects/fallout before
peforming this operation on 'master'.

So running

 git clone -b wip/T8545 git://git.haskell.org/ghc.git
 cd ghc/
 ./sync-all get

should result in a new checkout including the folded-in testsuite/
folder.

PS: If we decide to fold in `base` too (which imho would make life
    easier for GHC devs as it reduces exposure to confusing
    git-submodule effects) I think we should also fold in
    ghc-prim/integer-{gmp,simple} in, as `base` depends on those and
    they're even more tightly coupled to GHC than `base` is and so imho
    don't benefit much from being kept in a separate Git repo.

Cheers,
  hvr