Design discussion for atomic primops to land in 7.8

Ben Lippmeier benl at ouroborus.net
Mon Aug 26 06:01:40 CEST 2013

On 23/08/2013, at 3:52 AM, Ryan Newton wrote:

> Well, what's the long term plan?  Is the LLVM backend going to become the only backend at some point?

I wouldn't argue against ditching the NCG entirely. It's hard to justify fixing NCG performance problems when fixing them won't make the NCG faster than LLVM, and everyone uses LLVM anyway.

We're going to need more and more SIMD support when processors supporting the Larrabee New Instructions (LRBni) appear on people's desks. At that time there still won't be a good enough reason to implement those instructions in the NCG.

Ben.