extending GHC plugins with Hooks

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Aug 22 18:13:13 CEST 2013

Luite, Edsko, Thomas, Nicolas

You have all variously proposed improvements to the GHC API and/or the plug-in mechanism.  I have been so swamped in the last few months that I have not had a chance to look carefully at your proposals, nor how they relate to each other.

We are now only three weeks away from wanting to do a feature freeze on GHC 7.8, and there are a lot of other things that we want to complete
                http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-7.8
(Mostly they have gestating for some time.)

So I'm hoping you'll be ok with not putting these plugin-related changes into 7.8.  I have the sense that they'd benefit from more discussion among the folk interested in plugins.  Perhaps some of the ideas could be combined nicely; I don't know.  And the people who are going to write plugins are also probably up for building HEAD anyhow.

(Exception: Luite, I think you have some fairly narrow, specific changes that would help GHCJS, and I'm probably fine with those if you care to send patches.)

Please say if you think there's a really strong reason for putting stuff in the 7.8.

Thanks

Simon