Changes to primops break libraries (was Re: 7.8 Feature window)

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Aug 22 16:31:32 CEST 2013

| Oh, and I think that using sameTVar# for primop and sameTVar for wrapper
| is a good choice, even if we make transition slightly more difficult.
| This naming feels better to me

You said that before, but *why* does the "naming feel better" to you?

We now have
	ltFloatI# :: Float# -> Float# -> Int#   (the primop)
	ltFloat#  :: Float# -> Float# -> Bool   (wrapper)
	ltFloat   :: Float  -> Float  -> Bool   (in GHC.Float)

So it makes sense to me to have
	sameTVarI# :: TVar# s a -> TVar# s a -> Int# (the primop)
	sameTVar#  :: TVar# s a -> TVar# s a -> Bool (wrapper)
	sameTVar   :: TVar s a  -> TVar s a  -> Bool (in GHC.Conc.Sync)

(Actually GHC.Conc.Sync doesn't define sameTVar; it just gives an Eq instance, but you see the idea.)

I don’t see why you propose to break the consistency of this naming convention.

Simon