7.8 Feature window
simonpj at microsoft.com
Tue Aug 20 19:02:20 CEST 2013
Details here: do please modify directly:
From: ghc-devs [mailto:ghc-devs-bounces at haskell.org] On Behalf Of Austin Seipp
Sent: 20 August 2013 18:01
To: ghc-devs at haskell.org
Subject: 7.8 Feature window
GHC 7.8's release is drawing near. We would like to make a release candidate sometime around ICFP, which will be in late September. Unfortunately that's just over a month a way, so the clock is ticking!
The tree will need a few weeks of stabilization. After that, we will release an RC, and likely branch. Then things will roughly return to normal.
The exact date for feature cutoff is not set yet (but I will follow up soon on this.) So, I'd like a show of hands and a quick 'check in' for outstanding work for 7.8. There are a few things we know for sure are - or were - tentatively scheduled for this release:
* SIMD improvements
* New Template Haskell
* Constraint solver for type naturals
These are - as far as I'm aware - the largest outstanding features which not quite yet in HEAD.
For the release, we would like to minimize 'disruptive' features, because 7.8 already has many large changes. In particular, Dynamic GHCi and dynamic builds will likely prove the biggest challenge 'in the field', so we would like plenty of time to stress this as best we can for the RC, and the release itself.
There are some things which we are fairly certain will not make it:
* Joachim's new newtype coercion implementation
* Adam's new record implementation
There are some things I'm not very privvy to perhaps, but could still go in:
* Nicolas possibly had some optimisation improvements according to Simon.
* Edsko had a small patch for extended plugin functionality in HEAD, but Luite and Thomas also have input here. Status is uncertain.
* ERDI was working on pattern synonyms. I believe you were having some trouble with the implementation. Can someone help him if necessary?
Finally, there are loose ends to tie off:
* I believe Simon and Jose were having discussions about the new Typeable implementation, regarding hand-written instances. This should be fine for 7.8 and is mostly some behavioral tweaking I think.
I've undoubtedly missed things here. Please fill me in. :)
Note that before the freeze, you should interpret 'disruptive' with your own good judgement. Smaller patches and improvements are certainly welcome as always, and you shouldn't wait on me to push something if you feel good about it. If you're ever unsure, just ask. Worst case is something gets backed out, but it's nothing we cannot come back to.
Austin - PGP: 4096R/0x91384671
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the ghc-devs