Advice about TcDeriv

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Tue Aug 20 09:36:55 CEST 2013

Good morning,

Am Dienstag, den 20.08.2013, 07:24 +0000 schrieb Simon Peyton-Jones:
> The more I think about this, the more I wonder if we shouldn't treat
> NT in a similar way that we treat (~); that is, with built-in rules.
> The point is, we use
>    (a) roles, and
>    (b) visibility of the data constructor
> to control abstraction via existence/visibility of the instance. We
> don't really need a third mechanism
>    (c) the presence or absence of a 'deriving' clause
>
> Instead, it can syntactically be a class, but be treateded rather like
> the SingI class which has an infinite number of instances -- that is,
> the type checker has a built-in way of simplifying NT constraints.
>
> For example, the typechecker simplifies
> 	[s] ~ [t]
> 	s ~ t
> (This is just unification.)  Similarly it can simplify
> 	NT [s] [t]
> 	NT s t
> (in a role-aware way, of course).
>
> I think this will end up being a lot simpler than trying to push it
> through the full 'deriving' mechanism.
>
> Does that make sense?

it is certainly true that there are many obstacles when trying to use
the normal class mechanisms here.

One of the main reason we wanted to use (standalone) deriving instances
(or even the NT type constructor idea earlier) was to give library
authors a way to communicate their abstractions, to avoid the coercion
between (Set Int) and (Set (Down Int)). But thanks to Richard’s role
annotation, this can be prevented by annotating the Set’s type variables
with @N. So far so good.

Questions:
 * Will this annotation have other, possibly unwanted effects?
 * Should we also simplify constraints like (NT Age a) to (NT Int a)
automatically and built-in, or do we still want the user to first tell
us that we should do so?
 * What about the “only do it if constructors are in scope” idea – if
the typechecker creates these instances on the fly, it might do so for
modules where the constructors are not in scope (either because they are
private, or simply because they have not been imported).

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim “nomeata” Breitner