Ian leaving and the glorious future

Vincent Hanquez tab at snarc.org
Tue Aug 6 08:04:10 CEST 2013

On 08/05/2013 10:51 AM, Richard Eisenberg wrote:
> I think a hacking session is a great idea, either over IRC or at ICFP.
>
> I'm also thinking about how to foster involvement from newcomers on a
> more continual basis. Every several months, someone posts saying,
> essentially "I'd like a project. Give me one." The answers seem to be,
> "Find an interesting ticket and fix it." The problem is that, often,
> the *interesting* tickets are the ones that newcomers would have a
> hard time with. What if there were a page with a curated list of
> newcomer-friendly tickets? Every few weeks, I see a bug come up that
> looks easy enough to fix, but very non-critical. I would be happy to
> set up this page and serve as its maintainer. I would want to add a
> link to it from the main "working on GHC" wiki page, so it's easy for
> newcomers to find. The idea would be that a newcomer fixes a few
> tickets there, and then has enough knowledge to tackle something harder.

I think that's exactly what i was describing with having a list of low
hanging fruits for newcomers. I think it's very worthwhile, and have
this list refreshed every few weeks make it probably even better.

> The piece of this that I would help with is that I'm only familiar
> with the first stages of the compiler (to varying degrees): lexing,
> parsing, renaming, typechecking, desugaring, Core, and a bit of the
> simplifier. After that (optimizations, code generation, cmm, stg, ...)
> is a murky haze to me.
> Do we think such a page is a good idea? As I said, I'm happy to write
> it and maintain it, as well as serve as an email contact to people who
> want to contribute and want help. And, is there someone willing to
> curate the part of the page (and perhaps answer email) about the
> "second half" of ghc?
I'm by no mean an expert in code generation and lower layers, but unless
someone more knowledgeable want to do that, I can help curate the second
half part of the list.

--
Vincent