GHC git server issue : warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_AU.UTF-8)

Geoffrey Mainland mainland at apeiron.net
Mon Aug 5 14:36:12 CEST 2013

On 08/05/2013 10:04 AM, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm getting the above warning messahe every time I pull from the
> main GHC git repo. The strange thing is that this only happens on
> the GHC repo, on a whole bunch of others I get no such warning.
>
> After some pretty rigorous investigation I concluded that this is
> actually a issues with the GHC sit server. Since I'm doing the
> pull over ssh, ssh passes my environment (include LC_*) to the
> server, but the server doesn't support en_AU.UTF-8.
>
> To explore further, I sshed into darcs.haskell.org and it seems
> that locales are completely broken on this machine. Not even
> en_US.UTF-8 is support.
>
> I suppose its not a big deal but it would be nice to fix so no
> one else wastes any time debugging this.
>
> Erik

Sounds like someone needs to run "locale-gen en" on the server.

More generally, who is now in charge of the server(s)? There is a nice
wiki page about the proposed migration to gitolite, but I couldn't find
the wiki page that describes the haskell.org infrastructure. Where is it
hosted? Who are the sysadmins. Who is "in charge?" How can new people
contribute?

Geoff