GHC internals

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Mon Apr 29 15:29:43 CEST 2013

It's true that the document in GHC doesn't include operational semantics, but that's because GHC doesn't ever really implement a concrete operational semantics for Core, at least that I'm aware of. There are various places that a certain operational semantics is assumed. However, I don't think there's one place that really states the semantics in any concrete way. The goal of the document you attached is to have an easy-to-read and easy-to-maintain version of Core, with a direct connection to the implementation. With the operational semantics never stated, including those rules seemed to go against that goal.

That said, it wouldn't be hard for me to imagine an operational semantics and add it to the document -- I just don't know how I would check my imagined version against the implemented one.

Richard