libgmp-related build error

Páli Gábor János pali.gabor at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 17:55:42 CEST 2013

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 5:24 PM, Hollister Herhold <hollister at fafoh.com> wrote:
> There's one in ghc/libraries/integer-gmp/gmp/gmp.h

As far I know, there is an "in-tree" GMP packaged as a tarball under
the ghc/libraries/integer-gmp/tarball directory.  GNU/Linux can pick
up the gmp headers and libraries because they are some expected
location (perhaps in /usr/include and /usr/lib), while FreeBSD cannot,
because GMP is installed as a third-party software and resides under
some prefix, which is usually /usr/local/{include,lib} so it would
fall back to the in-tree version.

The solution is use the --with-gmp-includes and --with-gmp-libraries
flags for the "configure" script.  The x86 FreeBSD builder fails
because these flags are not specified and it cannot pick up the
in-tree GMP any more (I have mentioned Ian this problem, but probably
he did not have time to fix this up), while the x86_64 FreeBSD builder
works because it picks up the system GMP due to these flags.

Actually, the x86_64 FreeBSD builder were also able to pick up the
in-tree GMP, but unfortunately it causes some linking error if I
recall this correctly (c.f. #4022).