upstream repos and wiki's "Workflow with validate"

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 06:09:24 CEST 2013

On 28/03/13 08:04, Nicolas Frisby wrote:
> Hi all. I'm prepping for my first GHC commit, so I'm paying attention to
> all the details.
> I'm following the workflow described here
> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/WorkingConventions/Git#Workflowwithvalidate
> And I have a couple questions. Ultimately, I'm wondering if I'm doing
> something wrong or if those commands on that wiki page are either
> out-of-date or don't list some prerequisites.
> Question #1
> When I run
>    ./sync-all new
> The output shows lots of commits from the upstream repositories.

Yes, this command doesn't work as well as it used to since we switched
to using subrepos for some libraries.  I haven't looked into why that
is, but I'm sure there will be some git magic to work around the problem.

>    * Is there a sync-all switch to avoid that somehow?
>    * Is ./sync-all push going to push those? That'd be bad.

FWIW, I've never been brave enough to use sync-all push, I always push
individual repos.