Stage1Only

Trevor Elliott trevor at galois.com
Fri Apr 12 20:47:02 CEST 2013

Hi Ian,

I've seen this ticket (see [1]), and stage=1 only worked if I explicitly
disabled building packages like ghc, and the tools with the stage 1
compiler.  This seemed reasonable, as I only wanted to build a cross
compiler, not a toolchain for my target.

Additionally, I found that the RTS would never get built as a dependency
for ghc-prim when using stage=1. The ghc-prim package only builds
dist-boot and dist-install variants, and the RTS only ever builds a dist
variant.  When dependencies are generated in build-package-way for
ghc-prim, the variable rts-1.0_dist-install_$(way)_LIB expands to "",
and ghc-prim builds without forcing the RTS to also build.

I've fixed this by adding a dist-install alias (listed below) in
rts/ghc.mk, as well as adding $$($1_$2_$3_DEPS_LIBS) to the dependencies
of the static archive rule in rules/build-package-way.mk.

 > rts-$(rts_VERSION)_dist-install_$1_LIB = $$(rts_$1_LIB)

I have some other changes that make Stage1Only work as expected, and
would be happy to submit a patch if it's desired functionality.

Thanks!

--trevor

[1] http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/ghc-devs/2013-April/001002.html