Cross Compilation

Trevor Elliott trevor at galois.com
Wed Apr 3 22:18:26 CEST 2013

Hi Everyone,

We're starting to update the HaLVM, which produces Xen binaries from
haskell programs, to a more current version of GHC.  Currently, we build
a stage1 compiler manually, with some patches to the RTS, and trick it
into thinking that it's actually stage2 so that we can use template
haskell.  Ideally, we would like to look at Xen as a cross compilation
target, as that provides a bit of a better path for keeping up to date
with changes in GHC.

After reading some of the documentation on the developers wiki about
cross compilation, it wasn't clear if template haskell is usable by a
stage1 compiler built where target is not host, is this still the case?
  If so, what sort of changes would need to be made to enable this, and
is it something that we could contribute to?

Galois has a little time allocated for updating the HaLVM, and would
like to position ourselves so that staying up to date with GHC releases
is easier in the future :)

Thanks!

--trevor