[GHC DevOps Group] Making GHC's fast release cadence work

John Ericson john.ericson at obsidian.systems
Tue Jul 2 15:59:32 UTC 2019

Yeah there are many interlocking issues here. I've been thinking about
writing one of those ecosystem proposals about this. Here's some
observations about the status quo for now.

- Frequent releases are a really nice for feature for the community. I
know I, for one, would be less motivated to work on GHC if it would take
a year in some case for my contributions to trickle back to my day job.
Rust releases every 6 *weeks*. I see no reason why we shouldn't aim for
that.

- The GitLab move and switch to CI have made GHC development more
accessible and, temporary Marge Bot issues aside, better scaling. I am
immensely grateful for those that put in the work for that every MR I
write. Going back to annual releases would feel like a regression,
cancelling out some of those gains.

- Base really is a PVP mess. Only the messy guts actually make sense to
pair with GHC releases, a breaking change every time. The "pure" bits
would naturally have *fewer* breaking releases, but *more* non-breaking
releases.

- AMP-like proposals could probably move faster if they weren't tied to
GHC releases. I.e. if multiple GHC releases supported multiple class
hierarchies, people could move at their own pace to some extent, and we
could support faster *and* slower migrations.

- I hope GHC can move in a more modular direction, which by definition
means farming off work to libraries. In other words, I think GHC should
ultimately have the same degree of code reuse as any other Haskell
project. But the current experience with submodules is excruciating, so
no one dealing with GHC every day rightfully has any appetite for that.
It's a pity because once it's done I think it would be *less* work for
the core GHC team, there's just the awkward transition out of today's
monolithic local maximum.

So all this needs leads me to conclude a few things

- Base must be broken up, so it can be released more often than GHC.
Base would continue to exist reexport code in other libraries
exclusively. New users, executables, and legacy code can continue to
depend on base as before, but libraries are encouraged to adopt more
fine-grained dependencies on the underlying libraries.

- the kicker: Any library that wishes to be included in GHC / base *must
share maintainership* with the GHC release team / libraries committee,
respectively/./ That means those groups can release things whenever they
want to unblock themselves.
//

It's fairly clear-cut to me: having your library being included in GHC
or base is a big honor, and so you should not be able to hold up the
release process of these important projects unilaterally. If you want to
keep full custody of your baby, that's fine, but it's worth not the
precious time of the GHC/base developers to use it then. [Aim for, say,
Haskell Platform inclusion rather than base inclusion.]

Granted, GHC, unlike Base, there is the alternative to use Cabal's new
support for multiple versions of a package in the same package DB. But
until will have private dependencies that would place some probably
unpopular constraints on consumers of GHC-the-library. If GHC does
migrate from ~10 to ~100 dependencies, maybe it might make sense to
float that as an alternative, but seeing that is many GHC releases away
no matter what, I think it's best to start with the shared
maintainership policy.

  John