[GHC DevOps Group] Making GHC's fast release cadence work

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Tue Jul 2 16:54:10 UTC 2019

David Feuer <david.feuer at gmail.com> writes:

> The biggest problems are for packages like containers, that are not only
> used by GHC but also exposed to users through the GHC API. These libraries
> aren't part of GHC or base, but pretty much have to move in lock step.

I'm not sure I understand why this is so. Yes, install plans involving
the GHC library are forced to use the same version of containers that
GHC uses, but I would think that this is not the common case.

Assuming most people aren't linking against the GHC library then I don't
see the harm in GHC staying a bit behind upstreams like containers.

Cheers,

- Ben