[GHC DevOps Group] Making GHC's fast release cadence work

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Tue Jul 2 14:55:45 UTC 2019

Herbert Valerio Riedel <hvriedel at gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 8:09 PM Ben Gamari <ben at well-typed.com> wrote:
>> Naturally, delays like this make it hard for GHC to maintain its faster
> release cycle
>> How do you think we might speed up this process?
>
> IMO You're asking the wrong question.
>
> This seems based on a premise that everyone agreed with a faster
> release cycle... to me the downsides on the ecosystem and
> infrastructure of a faster release churn significantly outweight the
> modest benefit some people might perceive; and the issue's we've been
> observing (not only boot libraries, but also the 10k packages on
> Hackage) with the overspeeded release cycle are IMO a sign that we're
> moving faster than the ecosystem can accommodate.

As Simon said, I am happy to discuss both questions. However, I think
the two matters are largely orthogonal. The timing of core library releases
has been a problem even prior to the faster cadence. Consequently, in
the interest of keeping this thread focused let's address the question
of cadence elsewhere.

Cheers,

- Ben