[GHC DevOps Group] Making GHC's fast release cadence work

Boespflug, Mathieu m at tweag.io
Mon Jul 1 20:51:24 UTC 2019

A related discussion came up previously:
https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/ghc-devops-group/2017-December/thread.html#118.
>From the moment that GHC accepts unreleased dependencies on its release
branch, GHC developers lose full control over their own release timeline.
Because a new GHC release can only ship when the dependencies have been
released, the release process could block on upstream for indefinite
periods of time, like is currently happening with at least one GHC
dependency that has been blocked on the maintainer for at least 27 days
(and counting).

It was suggested then that GHC should only use release versions of its
dependencies on the master or release branch, and that if this isn't
practical due to co-dependency, then that suggests said dependencies should
have the same release cycle as GHC (i.e. same people can cut releases of
both) or even be merged in GHC itself.

--
Mathieu Boespflug
Founder at http://tweag.io.