[GHC DevOps Group] Making GHC's fast release cadence work

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Mon Jul 1 17:22:42 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,

GHC's core libraries are a critical part of the Haskell ecosystem. I
want to thank you for overseeing the maintenance of this infrastructure.

However, for the last three weeks the release candidate for GHC 8.8.1
has been ready aside from releases of a couple of our core libraries.

Naturally, delays like this make it hard for GHC to maintain its faster
release cycle. At the same time, we do not want this cadence to impose
an undue burden on our core library maintainers.

How do you think we might speed up this process?

For instance, perhaps the GHC release manager could pick up
some of the "boring parts" of core library maintenance limited to:

 * Version bound bumps

 * Changes of CPP conditionals to accommodate changes in the
   compiler and other core libraries

 * Changelog entries to describe these releases

 * Uploading these releases or revisions to Hackage

Of course, this would merely be an offer to maintainers; this would be
GHC's way of carrying some of the burden that our release process
imposes.

In general, I am interested in a discussion on how to make this faster
release pace work. Ideas?

Cheers,

- Ben