[GHC DevOps Group] State of CI

Gershom B gershomb at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 08:28:00 UTC 2018

On June 6, 2018 at 4:21:35 AM, Boespflug, Mathieu (m at tweag.io) wrote:

I understand that some people out there are concerned about the GitHub
acquisition. But at this point in the maturity of the infrastructure,
there are more pressing concerns than what will Microsoft do.

* As seen here, https://circleci.com/gh/ghc/ghc, master is currently
red on everything but x86_64-linux (sans LLVM, sans Hadrian).
* This means that starting from a stock Debian Jessie, we can't get
validate to pass on stock virtualized infrastrure (except for one).
* So the first order of business is to get ghc HEAD to a sufficient
level of quality that validate passes everywhere and so that CI
becomes useful.
* None of this work is GitHub specific. Nor all that CircleCI or
Appveyor specific for that matter (work is currently focused on
improving the test suite).

Right. This all sounds like good work, and a good priority to focus on, and
doesn’t seem to involve needing to make any short-term decisions about
changing the patch and review workflow. So it sounds like we have our hands
full already and should just let things settle for the time being, and
proceed as Ben has suggested :-)

Cheers,

Gershom