[GHC DevOps Group] State of CI

Gershom B gershomb at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 01:23:59 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 4:51 PM, Simon Peyton Jones
<simonpj at microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have no inside knowledge, but I suspect that Microsoft's acquisition of Github means
> - that GitHub will be largely undisturbed culturally
> - that GitHub will have more oomph behind it, so it'll become yet
>   more the de-facto choice than it already is

For what it's worth, the latter is definitely not happening. People
are discussing migrating away from it out of concern with regards to
the direction microsoft may evolve it, and in recognition that it is
better to avoid lock-in with regards to proprietary systems (in terms
of trackers, etc) now rather than later, and while export is
available, as there are concerns that it might not be forever (not
that this is necessarily a valid concern or not -- but it is certainly
driving migration). Some metrics have shown that there has been a
marked increase in imports of github accounts to gitlab in the past
day or so.

Certainly the expectation is that microsoft will evolve github in
_some_ direction under its management, and this uncertainty enough is
sufficient to drive some migration -- and should give pause to GHC
plans as well -- it doesn't seem like a savvy move to cut over to
something that could well be a moving target until some dust settles.

Cheers,
Gershom