[GHC DevOps Group] Devops status update

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Fri Jul 27 19:30:43 UTC 2018

Hi everyone,

This is a brief recap of current happenings in GHC's devops infrastructure.

 * Binary distributions for both GHC 8.6.1-alpha1 and -alpha2 were
   generated using CircleCI; there were a few snags along the way but
   these are being addressed and should be resolved in time for the next
   beta

 * Alp has written a bit of glue to shuttle Differentials to CircleCI
   for building. We don't yet have Appveyor support but this is on the roadmap

 * Talks with CircleCI about potential rate reductions continue; once this
   concludes we can move ahead with applying Google X's generous funding
   offer.

 * There has been some demand for FreeBSD bindists (which were omitted
   during the 8.4 cycle due to brokenness and the imminent move to
   CircleCI). Unfortunately, offering full bindist builds from CircleCI
   will be quite difficult since this requires that we run the stage2
   compiler to build some utilities. It's possible that we can structure
   the build system such that this final on-host build can be done at
   a later time (e.g. under virtualisation) but this will need to wait
   until Hadrian is our primary build system (which should be the case
   for 8.8).

   In the meantime I may just need to continue to build these manually.

 * The haskell.org infrastructure people and I are currently working on
   planning the move away from Rackspace infrastructure. This will
   affect only a few GHC services but presents a good opportunity to
   make our current configuration a bit more maintainable (namely
   the boxes responsible for git.haskell.org and Phabricator).

I believe that covers it. Hopefully there will be more news on the
CircleCI front in the near future.

Cheers,

- Ben