[GHC DevOps Group] CircleCI status

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Sun Dec 23 00:31:27 UTC 2018

Moritz Angermann <moritz.angermann at gmail.com> writes:

> What prevents us in principle to cross compile ghc on Linux for
> Windows? We’d still want to use the built artifacts and run the
> testsuite on Windows I think, but building ghc?

We currently cannot run the full testsuite on a binary distribution due to
#13897 (essentially we don't ship a few utilities which the testsuite would
require; Alp is looking at fixing this in Hadrian).

Moreover, we can't run Haddock when cross-compiling which means that we
would need to find a way to skip the haddock performance tests.

However, in general I think it is important that Tier 1 platforms be
tested in a non-cross-compiled environment. Afterall, this is the
environment in which we need to build binary distributions (for the
above-mentioned Haddock issue, among others).

Cheers,

- Ben