[GHC DevOps Group] CircleCI status

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Sat Dec 22 19:21:09 UTC 2018

Phyx <lonetiger at gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 5:40 PM Ben Gamari <ben at well-typed.com> wrote:
>
>> Ccing our Windows czar, Tamar.
>>

>> "Greg Steuck (Sh-toy-k)" <gnezdo at google.com> writes:
>>
>> > FWIW, lld seems pretty well supported on Windows
>> > <https://lld.llvm.org/windows_support.html>. We have some evidence that
>> lld
>> > is faster than gold and ld.bfd on Linux.
>> >
>> Indeed that is the option that I am investigating. I have opened #16084
>> [1] and an msys2 [2] ticket to track this. Unfortunately, GCC shipped
>> with msys2 doesn't currently support -fuse-ld=lld, so we are stuck with
>> ld.bfd until GCC 9 is released. However, even then it sounds like
>> lld <8 and mingw aren't known to interact well.
>>

> I wasn't even aware they added a mingw front-end back into LLD, this does
> make it a viable option.
> That said I also have a somewhat optimized binutils port here
> https://github.com/Mistuke/binutils-gdb
>
> The patch for fuse-ld=lld support is a trivial backport. I can easily build
> a GCC 8 release with it included and
> a tip of trunk LLD 8 if you'd like to try them out.

That would be fantastic. I quickly looked at what would be involved to
do this myself. The process appears to be fairly straightforward
However, it's a bit unclear which directory in the MSYS2-packages
repository corresponds to the mingw-w64-$(uname -m)-gcc toolchain we use
for builds. My guess is that [1] is the relevant package. Can you
confirm?

> I wouldn't recommend GCC 9 atm as we're in stage 3 and things are
> routinely broken..

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://github.com/Alexpux/MSYS2-packages/blob/master/mingw-w64-cross-gcc/PKGBUILD