[GHC DevOps Group] CircleCI status

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Sat Dec 22 17:40:48 UTC 2018

Ccing our Windows czar, Tamar.

"Greg Steuck (Sh-toy-k)" <gnezdo at google.com> writes:

> FWIW, lld seems pretty well supported on Windows
> <https://lld.llvm.org/windows_support.html>. We have some evidence that lld
> is faster than gold and ld.bfd on Linux.

Indeed that is the option that I am investigating. I have opened #16084
[1] and an msys2 [2] ticket to track this. Unfortunately, GCC shipped
with msys2 doesn't currently support -fuse-ld=lld, so we are stuck with
ld.bfd until GCC 9 is released. However, even then it sounds like
lld <8 and mingw aren't known to interact well.

All-in-all, moving to lld sounds like a good long-term direction but
won't be viable for at least a few months.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/16084
[2] https://github.com/Alexpux/MSYS2-packages/issues/1531