[GHC DevOps Group] New release process

Boespflug, Mathieu m at tweag.io
Mon Oct 23 22:12:27 UTC 2017

Hi Manuel,

whoa 6.4... throwback from the past! ;)

The main point of more frequent releases is to get new features in the
hand of users faster. This in turn leads to a more reliable process,
because there is less pressure to integrate features late in the
release cycle.

If I understand the proposed release calendar, the lifecycle of a new
feature is:

* Get a Diff reviewed and merged into master.
* Merge needs to happen 3-4 months (according to the dates you
mention) before the next release.
* If the merge happens immediately after the release branch is cut,
then the feature technically has to wait out up to 10 months (if on a
6 month release cycle) before making it into a release.

Am I understanding this right?

It would be nice to have a fleshed out branching model on a wiki page.