[GHC DevOps Group] New release process

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Mon Oct 23 08:55:51 UTC 2017

I'm likely going to be a contrary opinion here: I'd prefer _less_ frequent
GHC releases, not more frequent. Or at the very least: if we're talking
about major releases with intentional breakage, I see multiple problems:

* Many libraries are subscribing to a "3 versions" support policy. Having a
breaking release every 6 months means that libraries will be phasing out
support for a GHC release after only 1.5 years.
* From a Stackage perspective, I see how long it takes for the ecosystem to
catch up to a new GHC release. Depending on what it means for the ecosystem
to have caught up, I'd put that number anywhere from 2-4 months.

Personally, I'd be much more interested in seeing:

* More frequent point releases, with more guarantees of backwards
compatibility between releases. We've had situations in the past where
point releases have broken a significant number of packages, and it would
be great if we could work towards avoiding that with automated testing.
* Perhaps some plans allowing for introducing new functionality in point
releases without breaking backwards compatibility.

>From the standpoints of a package author, a tooling maintainer, and someone
helping companies with commercial rollouts of Haskell code, I've grown to
fear GHC releases. I'd rather we fix those problems before increasing
frequency.