[GHC DevOps Group] CI

Manuel M T Chakravarty manuel.chakravarty at tweag.io
Thu Oct 19 02:02:03 UTC 2017

> 19.10.2017, 12:29 schrieb Ben Gamari <ben at well-typed.com>:
> Manuel M T Chakravarty <manuel.chakravarty at tweag.io> writes:
>>> 13.10.2017, 00:18 schrieb Ben Gamari <ben at well-typed.com>:
>>> It's still quite unclear to me what a CircleCI/Appveyor solution will
>>> ultimately cost, but will almost certainly not be free. Assuming there
>>> are users who are willing to foot that bill, this is of course fine.
>>> However, it's quite contrary to the assumptions we have been working
>>> with for much of this process.
>>
>> Yes, you are right. That we have sponsors for the CI costs changes the
>> situation wrt to the previous planning. And it is precisely one of the
>> reasons why we founded the GHC DevOps group: to unlock new resources.
>>
>> I am sorry that this comes in the middle of the existing effort. I can
>> see how this is annoying. However, all the work on getting GHC’s build
>> in shape and the scripts to generate artefacts are all still needed.
>
> Indeed the timing was slightly suboptimal but I'm nevertheless very glad
> you brought this up. You have definitely helped me better understand the
> trade-offs at play and I think at this point I can say that, despite the
> costs, moving to CircleCI/Appveyor is the right decision.

Ok, great. Thank you for pushing us to think through all the various issues.

Oh, I didn’t know that. Will that affect haskell.org <http://haskell.org/> as well?

> Let's figure out how to make this happen. This week is turning out to be
> a bit busy for me, but perhaps this weekend or next week I'll see what
> can be done to hook up Phabricator and try to get the build automation
> in place for i386 and CentOS. However, if you have time do feel free to
> start plugging away at this yourself in the meantime.

Jonas spent some time on the macOS build on CircleCI.

It might be useful to make a list of all the things that need to be done and add it to the CI Trac page. Should we take a stab at that next week (when your schedule calms down a bit)?

Cheers,
Manuel