[GHC DevOps Group] Welcome to GHC DevOps

Manuel M T Chakravarty manuel.chakravarty at tweag.io
Tue Oct 10 06:46:10 UTC 2017

[RESENT MESSAGE — see https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/ghc-devops-group/2017-October/000004.html]

Hello everybody!

Now that the dust of ICFP has settled, I’d like to move the joint effort that we kickstarted in Oxford forward. First of all, thank you all for being willing to contribute and be part of this group. The current members are listed at

 https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/DevOpsGroupCharter

but we may be able to add further organisations.

Administrative issues
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* Simon PJ suggested that I do chair this group for the time being. I am happy to serve in this role unless there are any objections.

* Announcement: we announced this group at SimonPJ’s HIW ”Progress on GHC” talk, but I like to also send a message to the ghc-dev list.

* We haven’t formalised any rules concerning membership etc, and I’d like to punt on this for now until we have got some experience with the group.

Technical items

(1) We already started a discussion on CI and automating the building of release artefacts. This is really important. Please have look if you haven’t yet.

(2) Ben will outline the release schedule that we discussed for GHC 8.4.

(3) We need to talk about supporting GitHub for serious contributions to GHC. (I will summarise the points in a separate message.)

(4) In the course of (1), the status of FreeBSD as a Tier 1 distribution came up and, I think, this warrants some further discussion. (I’ll start a separate thread.)

Cheers,
Manuel