[GHC DevOps Group] Release policies

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at justtesting.org
Tue Dec 19 10:15:48 UTC 2017

I believe the standard policy would be to say that even master may only dependent on released versions of dependencies. That is after all the only way to have a master that is always ready to be cut for a release (as per modern CI practices).

Given the tight coupling of some of the dependencies of GHC with GHC, maybe we need to consider something weaker, but I think, the weakest reasonable (from a CI standpoint) policy is to say that, while master may depend on pre-release versions, release branches can *only* depend on released dependencies. In other words, a release branch can only be cut when master has progressed to a point where it only depends on released versions of its dependencies.

Under that compromise, cutting a GHC release branch may be delayed by a delayed upstream release, but hopefully the approx 3 month release process has enough slack to tolerate that. (It is obviously not ideal, though.)

Cheers,
Manuel

PS: Simon, I am sorry, but IMHO it is too early for a summary and policy proposal as the discussion hasn’t really converged yet. In any case, I am happy to write a summary Trac page once we are there. Is that ok?