[GHC DevOps Group] CircleCI job accounting question

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Thu Dec 14 22:25:01 UTC 2017

Manuel M T Chakravarty <manuel.chakravarty at tweag.io> writes:

>> Am 14.12.2017 um 01:36 schrieb Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com>:
>>
>> On 12 December 2017 at 08:12, Manuel M T Chakravarty <manuel.chakravarty at tweag.io <mailto:manuel.chakravarty at tweag.io>> wrote:
>> Hi Ben,
>>
>>> Am 12.12.2017 um 02:22 schrieb Ben Gamari <ben at well-typed.com <mailto:ben at well-typed.com>>:
>>>
>>> I personally think that we should strive for your first point (every
>>> commit should be validate-clean) before attempting to tackle your
>>> second. I, for one, am rather skeptical that putting all of your patches
>>> through review would significantly affect quality.
>>
>> I completely agree.
>>
>> So, what is preventing us from disabling direct pushes to master and requiring all contributions to go through a PR or Differential?
>>
>> Well, CI needs to be working first :)
>
> CI itself is working for Linux and macOS, and the hold up with Windows
> is largely us trying to get it for free from AppVeyor. The outstanding
> problems are with getting Phabricator to integrate/cooperate and now
> agreeing on a workflow. If we would use GitHub and PRs (like most of
> the rest of the world), I think, all this would be solved already
> also.

Well, I think it's a bit premature to call it "working". It runs and
reliably finishes, but there is still quite some work to be done to make
it pass the testsuite. The only reason it "passes" currently is that the
testsuite driver exits with exit code 0 even when tests fail (this is
#14411; I just posted a patch for this as D4268).

If you look at any of the recent "passing" builds you will see that the
testsuite fails with around a dozen failures (around half being stat
failures). I fixed a whole slew of these in the OS X build a few weeks
ago but I haven't had a chance to dig into those that remain. At first
glance they resemble #10037, but there is at least one segmentation
fault (on Darwin) which is a bit concerning.

Cheers,

- Ben