[GHC DevOps Group] Release policies

Mikhail Glushenkov mikhail.glushenkov at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 22:58:33 UTC 2017

Hi Mathieu,

On 13 December 2017 at 22:47, Boespflug, Mathieu <m at tweag.io> wrote:
> At https://www.haskell.org/cabal/download.html. Clearly the timeline on that
> page should be fixed then. But thanks for pointers re the actual Cabal
> timeline.

Yeah, I guess I should change the month from August to July and add
cabal-install releases to the timeline. Thanks for noticing!

> July 22th (according to GHC download page): GHC-8.2.1... July 24th
> (according to Hackage): Cabal-2.0.0.2...  Surely it's fair to afford
> downstream tool authors more than *minus* 2 days of lead time to adapt?

That's why we're having this discussion -- historically we've
often/usually cut releases of lib:Cabal and GHC simultaneously. Note,
however, that GHC HEAD snapshots in the period leading to 8.2.1
shipped with lib:Cabal snapshots from the 2.0 branch, so if a
downstream tool developer did testing against GHC HEAD, they also
automatically got an updated snapshot of lib:Cabal.