[GHC DevOps Group] Release policies

Mikhail Glushenkov mikhail.glushenkov at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 22:38:46 UTC 2017

Hi Mathieu,

On 13 December 2017 at 22:03, Boespflug, Mathieu <m at tweag.io> wrote:
> * But actually if we look at their respective release notes, GHC 8.2.1 was
> relased in July 2017, even though the Cabal website claims that
> Cabal-2.0.0.2 was released in August 2017 (see
> https://www.haskell.org/cabal/download.html). So it looks like GHC didn't
> just not give enough lead time about an upstream dependency it shipped with,
> it shipped with an unreleased version of Cabal!

If you look at

http://hackage.haskell.org/package/Cabal-2.0.0.2 and
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/cabal-install-2.0.0.0

you'll see that Cabal-2.0.0.2 was uploaded to Hackage on Jul 24 2017,
at the time of GHC 8.2.1 release, while cabal-install-2.0.0.0 was
released in August, which is also when the 2.0 release was announced.
This explains the discrepancy. Cabal-2.0.0.2 is the same version that
ships with GHC 8.2.1.