[Hs-Generics] Generics and data families

Reiner Pope reiner.pope at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 00:30:15 CET 2012

Hi all,

I am of the opinion that the approach I described in my previous email is reasonable. To me, the key point is that the Generic class (as opposed to the Generic1 class) is for types of kind *. Since D Bool and D Int are different types of kind *, it is reasonable for them to have unrelated instances for Generic. (The situation would be different for Generic1, once GHC supports deriving that).

A similar question is what the following should do:

> {-# LANGUAGE DeriveGeneric, FlexibleInstances, StandaloneDeriving #-}
> import GHC.Generics
> data T a = T a
> deriving instance Generic (T Bool)

Surprisingly, it currently generates the following instances:

> instance Generic (T Bool) where ...
> type instance Rep (T a) = ...

This means, for instance, that the following does not compile:

> {-# LANGUAGE DeriveGeneric, FlexibleInstances, StandaloneDeriving #-}
> import GHC.Generics
> data T a = T a
> deriving instance Generic (T Bool)
> deriving instance Generic (T Int)

because the "type instance Rep (T a) = ..." declarations conflict.

I would say it should generate the following instances:

> instance Generic (T Bool) where ...
> type instance Rep (T Bool) = ...

Note that these instances are of exactly the same form as the data family instances of my previous email.

Regards,
Reiner