[Hs-Generics] syb-0.2 release candidate

José Pedro Magalhães jpm at cs.uu.nl
Wed Apr 7 06:27:51 EDT 2010

Fellow generic programmers,

I finally managed to prepare a new release of SYB. Since this is a widely
used library I decided to share a "preview" version here before putting it
up on Hackage. There is nothing major in this version: basically, the
testsuite was reintegrated and I added some basic generic producers. Please
let me know if something goes wrong with this new version:
http://code.haskell.org/syb/syb-0.2-rc1.tar.gz

The draft announcement follows:

syb: Scrap Your Boilerplate!

> Scrap Your Boilerplate (SYB) is a library for generic programming in
> Haskell. It
> is supported in the GHC >= 6.0 implementation of Haskell. Using this
> approach,
> you can write generic functions such as traversal schemes (e.g., everywhere
> and
> everything), as well as generic read, generic show and generic equality
> (i.e.,
> gread, gshow, and geq). This approach is based on just a few primitives for
>
> type-safe cast and processing constructor applications.
>
> It was originally developed by Ralf Lämmel and Simon Peyton Jones. Since
> then,
> many people have contributed with research relating to SYB or its
> applications.
>
> More information is available on the webpage:
> http://www.cs.uu.nl/wiki/GenericProgramming/SYB
>

> What's new
> ----------
>
> The biggest improvements from version 0.1 are:
>   * The reintegration of the testsuite;
>   * The introduction of two new generic producers ('empty' and
>     'constrs'). The former produces an empty value of a given datatype,
> while
>     the latter produces a list of values of a datatype, each using a
> different
>     constructor.
>

> Features
> --------
>
> * Easy generic programming with combinators
>
> * GHC can derive Data and Typeable instances for your datatypes
>
> * Comes with many useful generic functions
>

> Requirements
> ------------
>
> * GHC 6.10.1 or later
> * Cabal 1.2.1 or later