[Hs-Generics] Rewriting libraries

Ozgur Akgun ozgurakgun at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 10:23:56 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I am implementing something which needs to make use of generic rewriting. I
tried implementing a rewriting system of my own, using Uniplate's transform
and rewrite methods, and currently I am trying to use the guarded-rewriting
package. (whose maintainer is generics at haskell.org)

I am reading the paper linked from hackage, A Lightweight Approach to
Datatype-Generic Rewriting, and I must say I quite liked the approach in
most places. Especially not using simple pattern matching in rewrite rules
is an important step, to my understanding. However I do have some questions
regarding the toolchain:

- There is another package, rewriting, which links to the same paper. What
is the relationship between these two implementations? Is one of them
obsolete?
- In the paper, it's mentioned that the Representable instances might be
generated automatically. I have quite a complex term structure (and subject
to changes), so I wonder if you are planning to work towards achieving this.
If not, can you give me some pointers to automate this process myself?
- Is it possible to write "nice" show functions for rewrite rules, namely
the Rule data type.

Thanks a lot for this work,

Best,

--