[Hs-Generics] Fwd: [Haskell] Data.Generics.gzip3 anyone?

David Fox ddssff at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 16:14:25 EDT 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Fox <ddssff at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 1:13 PM
Subject: Re: [Haskell] Data.Generics.gzip3 anyone?
To: Ralf Laemmel <rlaemmel at gmail.com>
Cc: haskell at haskell.org

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 3:40 PM, Ralf Laemmel <rlaemmel at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>                    ([], c) -> c
>                    _       -> error "gzipWithT2"
>  where
>  perkid a d = (tail a, unGT (head a) d)
>  funs = gmapQ (\k -> GT (f k)) x
>

> -- As originally defined: Twin map for transformation
>
> gzipWithM2 :: Monad m => GenericQ (GenericM m) -> GenericQ (GenericM m)
> gzipWithM2 f x y = case gmapAccumM perkid funs y of
>                    ([], c) -> c
>                    _       -> error "gzipWithM"
>  where
>  perkid a d = (tail a, unGM (head a) d)
>  funs = gmapQ (\k -> GM (f k)) x
>

> -- As originally defined: generic zip
>
> gzip2 ::
>    (forall x. Data x => x -> x -> Maybe x)
>  -> (forall x. Data x => x -> x -> Maybe x)
>
> gzip2 f = gzip2' f'
>  where
>  f' :: GenericQ (GenericM Maybe)
>  f' x y = cast x >>= \x' -> f x' y
>  gzip2' :: GenericQ (GenericM Maybe) -> GenericQ (GenericM Maybe)
>  gzip2' f x y =
>    f x y
>    `orElse`
>    if toConstr x == toConstr y
>      then gzipWithM2 (gzip2' f) x y
>      else Nothing
>

> -- For three args now
>
> gzipWithT3 ::
>    GenericQ (GenericQ (GenericT))
>  -> GenericQ (GenericQ (GenericT))
> gzipWithT3 f x y z =
>    case gmapAccumT perkid funs z of
>      ([], c) -> c
>      _       -> error "gzipWithT3"
>  where
>  perkid a d = (tail a, unGT (head a) d)
>  funs = case gmapAccumQ perkid' funs' y of
>           ([], q) -> q
>           _       -> error "gzipWithT3"
>   where
>    perkid' a d = (tail a, unGQ (head a) d)
>    funs' = gmapQ (\k -> (GQ (\k' -> GT (f k k')))) x
>
> gzipWithM3 :: Monad m
>  => GenericQ (GenericQ (GenericM m))
>  -> GenericQ (GenericQ (GenericM m))
> gzipWithM3 f x y z =
>    case gmapAccumM perkid funs z of
>      ([], c) -> c
>      _       -> error "gzipWithM3"
>  where
>  perkid a d = (tail a, unGM (head a) d)
>   funs = case gmapAccumQ perkid' funs' y of
>           ([], q) -> q
>            _       -> error "gzipWithM3"
>    where
>    perkid' a d = (tail a, unGQ (head a) d)
>     funs' = gmapQ (\k -> (GQ (\k' -> GM (f k k')))) x
>
> gzip3 ::
>    (forall x. Data x => x -> x -> x -> Maybe x)
>  -> (forall x. Data x => x -> x -> x -> Maybe x)
>
> gzip3 f = gzip3' f'
>  where
>  f' :: GenericQ (GenericQ (GenericM Maybe))
>  f' x y z = cast x >>= \x' -> cast y >>= \y' -> f x' y' z
>  gzip3' ::
>       GenericQ (GenericQ (GenericM Maybe))
>    -> GenericQ (GenericQ (GenericM Maybe))
>  gzip3' f x y z =
>    f x y z
>    `orElse`
>    if and [toConstr x == toConstr y, toConstr y == toConstr z]

Ok, what I initially thought would work is not.  I tried to do the three way
merge as follows:

combine3 :: (Data a) => a -> a -> a -> Maybe a
combine3 original left right =
    gzip3 f original left right
    where
      f :: forall a. (Data a) => a -> a -> a -> Maybe a
      f original left right
          | geq original left = Just right
          | geq original right = Just left
          | geq left right = Just left
          | otherwise = Nothing

However, what happens is that we usually reach the otherwise clause when
processing the top level of the data structure, so you get nothing.  What
really needs to happen is that it traverses down into the data structure and
finds out that f is able to merge all the more primitive pieces of the data
structure, in which case it combines those merged parts to yield a merged
whole.  I'm not quite sure how to fit this operation into the generic
framework.