[Hs-Generics] Experiments and paper

Johan Jeuring johanj at cs.uu.nl
Fri May 11 10:26:38 EDT 2007

Dear generics-subscribers,

We intend to develop a common library for generic programming. A
first step towards such a design is to evaluate the existing
approaches. We started on this last year, but activities slowed down
a bit, presumably due to other obligations. Since January, Alex
Gerdes and Alexey have picked up the evaluation again. Some of you
might have followed the darcs submissions of Alexey and Alex in the
last couple of months: we have implemented a set of examples for
almost all library approaches now. A few approaches remain to be
done, but we can hopefully do so in the next couple of weeks.  We
hope you can have a look at the implementations, or maybe at the
implementation of the examples in your favourite approach. The
implementations of the examples can be obtained via

darcs get http://www.cs.uu.nl/~alexey/repos/generics/

We are planning to push these patches to the haskell.org darcs
repository http://darcs.haskell.org/generics in the coming days,
would that be a problem for any of you? We will push the code under a
different directory called `comparison', so none of the existing
files will be affected.

We noticed that some of the pages on the haskell wiki about the
libraries have disappeared after restructuring the libraries and
tools pages. We've restored them.

We're thinking about writing a paper for the Haskell Workshop
describing our evaluations. The deadline for the HW is June 15, so
that gives us a bit more than a month. Some of you contributed to the
stuff that is on the webpage, or in the repository. So we can imagine
some of you would like to coauthor such a paper. Please let us know
if that is the case, so that we can give you permissions for the svn
repository for the paper (which at the moment is almost empty).

All the best,

Johan