[Hs-Generics] Making a call to a function specified as a string???

Hugh Perkins hughperkins at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 18:16:11 EDT 2007

Next question: any way to call a function specified as a string?

gshow( somefunction ) produces gshow on the output of the function, rather
than on the function itself, so not got very far so far.

For background, the idea is to be able to serialize a function call to
something we can pass over the network ,deserialize on the other end, and
process appropriately.

One could presumably do this using a generator of some sort.  Is this the
only option?

I can live with using a generator for this; it's the usual way most
implementations of this kind of thing work (ICE, WCF, ...); but if we can
avoid using a generator, *** and stay strongly typed ***, it's better.

For example, in traditional imperative languages, we'd specify an interface
- so ensuring we are strongly typed - and then we are free to implement a
serialization/deserialization scheme of our choice.