[Hs-Generics] Re: Scrap your boilerplate and Variants

Bruno Oliveira bruno.oliveira at comlab.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 25 16:03:05 EDT 2006

Hello,

>It is certainly true that we start to have various SYB variants that the numbering scheme becomes clumsy :-) So it is actually good that some of the Bonn/Oxford work nicely uses qualifiers like revolutions etc. :-)

>I do agree with Bruno that some of the SYB flavors are so much different that they need to be characterized more or less separately.

>Oleg's flavor shouldn't have any fundamental issues with everywhere as far as I can see. (Bruno? Oleg?) I am only alerted by the fact that this flavor uses type codes to pass around functions (this is at least what I see in
the initial email Oleg sent to me and SPJ after ICFP 2005).

Ok, sorry, I just understood it (wrongly apparently) like that after reading your previous email.

However I am curious about how to write everywhere and/or everything in this style.
Am i right to say that Oleg's "gmapq" is recurring on the children, unlike the original
SyB where it only traverses the top-layer? If this is the case then gmapq
plays the role of both everything and the original gmapq combinators of SyB.
Is this the difference?

Cheers,

Bruno