[Hs-Generics] Scrap your boilerplate and Variants

Bruno Oliveira bruno.oliveira at comlab.ox.ac.uk
Mon Oct 23 08:14:33 EDT 2006

Hello,

According to Johan timeline, we should have started discussing SyB last week.
I was to busy last week, so I could not do much work on it, but this week I have some
more available time so I have started summarizing SyB in:

http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Libraries_and_tools/Generic_programming/SyB

The summary is not complete, please feel free to edit it and add your own comments.

I found it slightly awkard to fit SyB into the template because there are many papers and
variants. I wonder if there is a better way to summarize SyB (perhaps splitting into the different
variants?).

Since SyB does actually have users and I guess some of them may have subscribed to this list,
I guess this is the approach where they can comment the most and say what they like/don't
like about SyB. For example they can comment about Error Messages, Usability and Performance.
Other issues that they may be interested to comment on are on what do they use SyB for (what is the
typical generic function that they write) and if they ever had a situation where they though of a function
that should be generic, but it turned out that they could not encode it with SyB.

More generally, I think it would be very good to collect opinions of users and not just people that
do generic programming research.

Cheers,

Bruno Oliveira