[Freebsd-haskell] Cabal Ports Reworked & Committed

Ashish SHUKLA wahjava.ml at gmail.com
Sat May 15 01:01:43 EDT 2010

Hi,

Gabor PALI writes:
> Hello,

[...]

>> And since we're not able to even successfully arrange an
>> IRC meeting, I don't think this approach will be feasible.
>>

> I do not feel it a big problem.  You must take into account that IRC is
> not suitable for everybody.  Based on the mail (and IRC) traffic so far,
> I do not expect a tons of commits in the beginning, and since we would
> hand out the access to the repository one by one, we can oversee who
> will commit at all.

> - Regarding updates, I think maintainership would still count as a
> reference, i.e. maintainers are free to update their own ports and other
> maintainers should be respected (notified before any changes).

> - Regarding new ports, perhaps we should create and maintain a public
> list of "ports in preparation" (in the repository or somewhere else)
> where everybody could publish his or her intentions on porting, so they
> can be even pinged when there is not too much activity but you have a
> complete solution already.

> I am also working on a gitit-based site for freebsd.haskell.org where
> things can be coordinated via a wiki.    Until it is not ready, Jacula
> and I can do this on the FreeBSD wiki.

Okay, fine with me.

>> On the other hand, with per user branches, it is your area, do what you wanted
>> to do, without effecting anyone else. And merging from the master and other
>> users branches, whenever you need it.
>>

> Yeah.  Most of my previous suggestions can be automatized this way :)

>> To keep others informed about one's progress, we can create a post-update (or
>> whatever the correct name would be) hook in the repository, which mails your
>> pushes to the list. And also a public mirror of the repository kept in-sync
>> (via post-update hooks) would be nice for casual contributors who can do
>> anonymous clones, and it also provides functionality to view other branches
>> without checking out them.
>>

> I do not have any objections, but I do not have too much time for this
> :)  I would be happy if you could build this (or a proof-of-concept).

I can setup a proof-of-concept and my end and mail you the final details.

> Only thing I need is a reliable place where I can pull changes from to build
> packages.

Okay, how about you or someone from us becoming the *incharge* of the
main-tree, and everyone send merge requests to the *incharge* whenever they
believe state of their local branch is sane enough to be tested. In this case,
the *incharge* will be responsible for merging all the changes. And any
external person, looking forward to check the state of the work, can see that
branch.

Branches can be substituted with repositories and merge request can be
substituted with pull request.

>> And also when filing PRs, making sure to keep list in the loop would be nice
>> idea to inform about the updates.
>>

> A solution would be to link this list to the haskell at freebsd.org alias.

Yes, seems fine to me.

>> And also it would be nice if we can discuss all of these issues over IRC
>> sometime.
>>

> I am there on Saturdays as always.

Looking forward to see you at the usual time of the meeting.

--
Ashish SHUKLA

Sent via Gnus from GNU Emacs