[Freebsd-haskell] Howto deal with Cabal dependencies?

david fries djf at gmx.ch
Tue Mar 9 16:22:52 EST 2010

So. I've been slacking around for the last month not doing much. However
the Haskell platform is still on my list of things to do. But I'm kind
of stuck here.

The version dependencies I listed previously have to be met exactly.
This means, of course, that the ports I submitted wouldn't work either.
So that was pointless. Well not quite, Jacula and Gabor sent me
feedback, which is always welcome. You both pointed out that installing
ports which are already part of lang/ghc may cause problems. However I
don't see why. Take the network module, for example. The network-2.2.1.2
module comes as part of the ghc port. A potential network-2.2.1.4 port
would be installed by itself in /usr/local/lib/network-2.2.1.4 and its
haddock documentation is also in a separate directory. ghc-pkg list
shows two different installed network versions, but GHC & Cabal have
been designed to handle multiple module versions. So I don't see what
the problem is. Maybe someone could elaborate on that a little bit more.
So that I can come up with an acceptable solution.

Frankly, the issue of version dependencies is pretty important to me.
The current happy go lucky way of just have the latest version of a
module in the portstree is insufficient. I'm sure I'm not the first one
to bump into this issue. Right? If I had my way, I would explicitly put
the version in the name suffix.

On Sun, 2010-02-07 at 16:32 +0100, david fries wrote:
> First of all, I have to say I'm glad this list is not completely dead :)
>

> > Which package is that?  If you name it, maybe we can help you in working
> > around the problem.  I think the distinction between the old and new
> > versions of the network and time modules is to support different GHC
> > versions.  GHC 6.10.4 includes network 2.2.1.2 and time 1.1.4 by
> > default, so I would not care about that dependency in the port.
> >

> I'm working on a port of Haskell-Platform. I has the following
> dependencies:
>
> GLUT ==2.1.1.2,
> HTTP ==4000.0.6,
> OpenGL ==2.2.1.1,
> cgi ==3001.1.7.1,
> editline ==0.2.1.0, << I'm struggling with that a bit
> fgl ==5.4.2.2,
> network ==2.2.1.4,  << I'm going to submit that (version 2.2.1.7)
> time ==1.1.2.4,     << I'm going to submit that (version 1.1.4)
> zlib ==0.5.0.0

regards,
dave