[Freebsd-haskell] status of 6.12?

Gabor PALI pgj at FreeBSD.org
Tue Mar 2 12:18:35 EST 2010

On 03/02/10 18:05, brad clawsie wrote:
> it seemed like freebsd was way behind bringing 6.10 into ports. i'd like
> to see 6.12 arrive soon. naturally, if there is anything i can do to
> help...

Ashish already provided some files for building a port for GHC 6.12.x,
and I have built some bootstrap tarballs for them, but I did not manage
to make it work in a Tinderbox.  We had plans to add GHC 6.12.x as
lang/ghc-devel to the ports tree, but because of this Tinderbox issue,
we could not step forward.

As far as I remember correctly,  the GHC Makefiles contained some sweet
mistakes (like using uninitialized variables) that I could not fix back
then due to lack of my free time.  So if you can make it build it in a
Tinderbox on all the platforms ({6,7,8}-STABLE and 9-CURRENT on
{i386,amd64}, together with the fancy -NPD and -CustDir settings) that
would be a huge step forward.

> of course there is also the question of providing the "haskell platform"
> in its entirety as the haskell upstream community is urging distributors
> to do

Porting Haskell Platform is quite interesting since using cabal-install
interferes with the Port Collection.  There are also some hackages in
the HP specification (e.g. network, time) which ones already provided by
GHC 6.10.4, but not with the right version.  In my view (so far), that
would mean patching the lang/ghc.

It would be nice to see how others (perhaps the "upstream") deal with
these problems.  Then we are ready :)

Cheers,
:g