[Freebsd-haskell] building gtk2hs on FreeBSD

Tim Matthews tim.matthews7 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 22:38:02 EDT 2010

The problem I was running into is solved but incase anyone else runs into
this problem: Install with the "--force" option:

cabal install --user --enable-documentation --ghc-pkg-option=--force gtk

but if the build ends with "invalid argument" like this:

> Linking /tmp/gtk-0.11.011162/gtk-0.11.0/dist/setup/setup ...
> Configuring gtk-0.11.0...
> setup: ./Graphics/UI/Gtk/General/IconTheme.chs: invalid argument
> Updating documentation index /home/tim/.cabal/share/doc/index.html

> gtk-0.11.0 failed during the building phase. The exception was:
> ExitFailure 1

Then you don't currently have your locale set to UTF-8. Set your
locale<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/using-localization.html>to
UTF-8 then try again and it should work.