[Freebsd-haskell] Newbie question about Haskell porting

david fries djf at gmx.ch
Sat Jan 30 14:12:26 EST 2010

Hello everybody

I'm learning how to port Haskell packages to FreeBSD. I've been reading
the porters handbook and I've also looked at various existing Haskell
ports in the ports tree. Their Makefiles generally have a very similar
structure - which is a very good sign in my opinion. Part of that are
also the targets. However, there is one thing I do not quite understand.

The do-install target usually looks like this:

do-install:
        cd ${WRKSRC} && ${SETUP_CMD} install \
                     && ${INSTALL_SCRIPT} register.sh
${PREFIX}/${SOME_LIBDIR_REL}/register.sh

My question is. Why do you run the register script here? The Cabal
documentation
(http://www.haskell.org/cabal/release/cabal-latest/doc/users-guide/builders.html#setup-register)
says that this registration is implicitly done during ./setup install.
It seems to me that executing the register script is superfluous. Or am
I missing something?

regards
david