[Freebsd-haskell] Comments on use of bsd.haskell.mk

Gabor PALI pgj at FreeBSD.org
Sun Feb 1 17:11:00 EST 2009

Hello Ashish,

You wrote:
> Apologies for being unre{sponsive,achable} in the last few days.

Anyway, you approved my port updates very quickly :)

> Anyways, I've *finally* gone through bsd.haskell.mk submitted by Jacula,
> and tried porting devel/hs-utf8-string-ghc to it and with little bit of
> struggle with documentation I was successful. Following are the Makefile
> and pkg-plist of the updated port. [..]

Hm, your results seem to be promising!  However, I would recommend you
to use the D_NAME and D_NAME-VER plist_subs where applicable for the
easier maintenance.  It would be also nice to have a make(1) target (in
bsd.haskell.mk) for generating pkg-plist files.

> Now, I've a (C)omment, (Q)uestion and (S)uggestion regarding that
> bsd.haskell.mk w.r.t. to the above port stuff:
>
> Q. As clear from the below output, the updated ports installs libraries
> in the ${PREFIX}/lib/${PORTNAME}-${PORTVERSION}/${GHC_VER} instead of
> the older ${PREFIX}/lib/${GHC_VER}/cabal. Is this convention going to be
> followed from now onwards, hmm... ?) [..]

I think we should agree on this.  I do not have any objections, however
until now, I have followed your ${PREFIX}/lib/${GHC_VER}/cabal solution
:)  I tried your converted utf8-string port, and I found that HsColour
could use an automatic versioning scheme in the Mk file.  (Because it
refers to version 1.10, but now HsColour is at version 1.10.1, so this
resulted an error.)  Something like this:

HSCOLOUR_VERSION?= `HsColour -version | cut -d ' ' -f2-`

I am not sure whether it is a right thing, but it helped.

> S. The best way to test out the bsd.haskell.mk is by porting more and
> more ports to it. So I recommend we should port existing ports and new
> ports to the bsd.haskell.mk way and push to the 'infrastructure' branch
> (or any other special branch created for the purpose).
Okay, I will try to adapt some of my ports to this approach.

> And until bsd.haskell.mk makes into the official ports tree, we should also keep
> porting new/updated ports in the current way. Although this will be a
> bit time consuming, but this will be helpful in testing bsd.haskell.mk
> and improving it wherever it lacks. And whenever bsd.haskell.mk goes
> into the tree, the haskell ports can also be submitted.

It might be worth a try at least.

> And IIRC, Samy mentioned on the IRC that he is running GHC 6.10.1 on his
> "centrino" box. Samy if you need some testers, could you please push
> your port to the repo so we can start working with it. And also will I
> be able to install multiple versions of GHC side-by-side, hmm...?

I will contact the guy who submitted a port update for GHC about a month
ago [1][2], maybe he could be also involved (and interested in it).

Cheers,
:g

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/130217
[2] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/130218