Haskell PPL bug fix

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak at knm.org.pl
Fri Oct 15 10:08:00 EDT 2004

Axel Simon <A.Simon at kent.ac.uk> writes:

> the Haskell compiler GHC replaces the memory allocator in GMP with
> one that allocates from the Haskell heap. Pedro managed to link the
> PPL with a private version of GMP but that is not a feasible
> solution in the long term.

I second this. I would like to make a bridge between Haskell and my
language Kogut, but my runtime uses GMP for big integers. I don't
change the allocation functions from the default, to make possible
to have multiple libraries using GMP in a single program, as long as
others are similarly cooperable. Unfortunately GHC does change them,
and without checking I can say that it will not work.

I don't think that I should make a private copy of GMP for my
language. After all, it doesn't change the default settings,
and it's GHC which breaks the GMP interface. IMHO it should either
have a private copy of GMP with changed names, or stop changing
GMP allocation functions, accepting the slowdown.

--
   __("<         Marcin Kowalczyk
   \__/       qrczak at knm.org.pl
    ^^     http://qrnik.knm.org.pl/~qrczak/