ANN: H98 FFI Addendum 1.0, Release Candidate 13

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak at knm.org.pl
Sun Nov 2 05:54:37 EST 2003

W liście z sob, 01-11-2003, godz. 02:16, John Meacham pisze:

> my implementation converts unrepresentable characters to '?'. But
> a case could be made for throwing a CharsetConversion exception of some
> sort or simply eliding invalid characters. I am not sure what is best,

It depends on the application:

- When displaying email on screen, it's best to transliterate by
  removing accents etc.

- When communicating with a database, it's best to report an error
  so configuration can be fixed (perhaps charsets are wrongly set).

- When converting HTML, it's best to provide a hook to replace
  unrepresentable characters with &#NNNN;

--
   __("<         Marcin Kowalczyk
   \__/       qrczak at knm.org.pl