ANN: H98 FFI Addendum 1.0, Release Candidate 10

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Tue May 27 13:11:22 EDT 2003

Manuel M T Chakravarty <chak at cse.unsw.edu.au> writes:

> -=- Changes since RC 9
>
> * 6.2:   All the types in CTypes must be newtypes that are exported
>          abstractly.

This change makes things highly inconvenient in nhc98.  A newtype
can only be passed across the FFI in nhc98 if we have enough
information to determine the original type that is being renamed.
If Foreign.C.Types exports them abstractly, then currently we do not
have that information, and so these types cannot be used at all!

I am not suggesting that the newtype constructors should necessarily
be part of the API seen by the user, but the problem comes down to a
known deficiency in nhc98's interface file conventions.

Regards,
    Malcolm